Chad and I have been our ward's Activities Chairman for the past year. I have to say that this is the perfect calling for me. I LOVE parties, I LOVE planning parties, and I LOVE being incharge. However, I know that I have issues. I like things done MY way. Knowing this about myself I had to try and put my thoughts aside and make group decisions. It's no fun being in Activities Committee if you're just being told what to do and you aren't able to help plan them. So when the decorations aren't perfect I just turn my head. No really it wasn't that bad. However, I know that not everyone cares for decorations like I do so they may not make such a big deal about making it perfect. I do have to say that I think I had some WONDERFUL people in my committee. I couldn't have done it without them. Luckily, they were able to put up with me because I can be VERY demanding.
Anyways, being the chairman was exciting, exhausting, stressful, rewarding, and soooo much more. I am a stressful person. It works for me though because when the activiy is over with it makes it that much more rewarding. I often lose a lot of sleep the nights before an activity because I'm thinking about every little detail. I want the activities to be ones that people look forward to coming to. So it always feels great when I've put in a lot of effort and the activity was a success.
Sooooooo our calling is now over. It's so weird to think that I don't have to start planning a Ward Thanksgiving party and that the next activity I go to I'll actually be able to enjoy the activity.
I have to say the hardest thing about being in charge is seeing how it effects my kids. For example our activity on Saturday went a little like this....
Chad was on parking lot duty so the kids just followed me around as I found our game people and got them set-up. Luckily, my wonderful friend Camille offered to take Aeden so that he could get some food. (Shay didn't want any.) Then she continued following me around until Chad got a break and could take them to play some games. All the other kids were already playing games. Then Chad went to go hang out at our car for the trunk or treat while the kids stood with me at the prize station. Until another wonderful friend took over my spot so I could take the kids trunk or treating. By this time some of the cars were already leaving. Then we cleaned up while Kaelyn screamed and the kids finally got in bed around 10pm.
All in all it was a great gig, but it will be nice to enjoy some future activites with my kids!
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You were such a good activities person. Now that I'm on the (meeting formerly known as) Enrichment board, I realize how much work it is to make an activity look as good as you always did. I hope they put your talents to good use in your new ward! But have fun enjoying the activities for once :).
Ah, I'm the same exact way! I love to plan parties but I like things done my way! We are so alike and should NEVER plan a party together!
Post a Comment