Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What was she thinking?

Today was a preschool day for Shay. Like any other school day we hurried and got ready in the morning. I told the kids to get in the car and I buckled them in. Usually to the point that they were telling me "It's too tight!" in which I reply "It has to be tight. I don't want to lose you." We then travel across town to Shay's preschool. As I was waiting for Shay to get out of the car a black convertible sports car rolls up. I assume it was one of the kids grandparents car. He was in the back seat STANDING UP with his mom sitting next to him as they pull up the the house. WHAT was this mom thinking?!?! It's bad enough that he wasn't in a car seat, but she was letting him stand up in a convertible. One little accident and that kid would be road kill. RIDICULOUS. This has to be one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. I know that back in our parents parenting days they didn't even use car seats, but it still drives me crazy to see parents holding there little baby in the front seat as they drive off. I wont even drive down the block without my kids buckled up. Maybe it's because my husband works for GEICO, but really. These are your kids.
Does this drive you all crazy or is it just me? It takes a lot not to give these parents a piece of my mind. I just hope they don't learn the lesson the hard way. Sheesh!!!

5 comments:

Rae said...

I have to say I've done both. I do keep my kids in their seats. But when Joel was two we switched him to a bigger seat to fast and I could not keep him in his seat. It got so bad that I did start not caring because I was tired. I know that it was awful and I did get pulled over for it. Then I had to go to a class. Long way of saying I hear you but I wish I were more strict about it. Plus I love your new blog. It does make me miss talking to you more. Mostly because I love how you see things.

Anonymous said...

I, too, am very strict about car seats. My sisters are very relaxed about them. If they are driving in the neighborhood, they are fine with them not being buckled, and even when they are buckled, the buckles are way too loose. When I was working as an OB nurse, one of my jobs at discharge was to check the baby's car seat--I think that is when my pet peeve started. And that was when I was pregnant with Makayla. We have always been vigilant with our kids' car seats, and I wish other people would do the same. It is an easy way to protect our kids!

Ty, Roz and Riley said...

I totally agree with you! I also hate it!

Kat Clark said...

Are you talking to me? I promise we strapped Jack in right after we drove away. I just wasn't about to get out in that rain again. Sorry if I made you mad. I am not even close to being as crazy as the convertable lady though. I would have called CPS, well maybe not but I would have threatened to.

The Ensign's said...

Kat- Okaaaaay... I didn't even remember that. Actually I didn't even notice that you did that until you text me telling me that you put him in his seat. You are too funny!